I-CARE

ROLE

interaction design, visual design, product management

TEAM

Eugene Goh, Vijay Ganesh, David Dolesen

PROBLEM

Leukocoria is an abnormal white reflection from the retina of the eye. It primarily affects infants and children under the age of 15. Leukocoria is often a sign of retinoblastoma, a malignant retinal tumor which results in children losing their eyes. This is a serious problem plaguing third world countries who do not have access to healthcare/technology to aid in the detection of leukocoria.The challenge - "Device a low cost/efficient mechanism to detect leukocoria."

SOLUTION

An Android based mobile application which uses the camera on a smartphone (for ambient light) to detect leukocoria. It is worthwhile to note that on this assignment we worked with doctors at the Kellogg Eye Center - University of Michigan to device an efficient mechanism to detect leukocoria.

Interviews


To better understand the problem and how we could address it we spoke with our clients - the doctors at the Kellogg Eye Center. The findings can be summarized as follows -

Persona


I created a persona representing the primary user of the application. It was evident from our interviews that mothers who cared for their wards during their infancy would most likely be able to detect that something was incorrect with their wards vision.

Scenarios


I used both - the persona and scenarios as hand off material to the devs, using them to emphasize on the human-centric aspect of the exercise while describing product features.

User Flow


The scenarios helped establish the flow of information as will be seen by the end user.

Wireframes


I generated blueprint wireframes structuring components in a manner that would help them easily get around the application. I iterated through these wireframes twice while working with the developers on the team.

Low Fidelity Visuals


I used pink as the primary color through the application - primarily because of its symbolism, representing love and care. Visuals were generated based on guidelines for Android 5.0 Lollipop. My objective was "economy of form" (Cooper - About Face) - to use the minimal number of user interface components to effectively help accomplish the primarly goal - to help effectively and easily detect leuokocoria.